(CHICAGO 07/28/2010) – The American Muslims for Palestine (AMP) has joined a coalition of civil rights and professional bar associations in condemning the proposed suspension of the Muslim Student Union at the University of California, Irvine.
University officials have recommended the suspension after 10 students raised objections and disrupted a speech by Israeli Ambassador Michael Oren on Feb. 8, 2010. The students left the hall peacefully and of their own accord.
The MSU rejects UCI’s factual determinations of its involvement with the protest, and is currently appealing the proposed ban; nonetheless, AMP is urging its supports to contact UCI Chancellor Michael Drake and Vice Chancellor Manual Gomez and demand the institution abandon all efforts to suspend the MSU.
It is the position of the coalition that the suspension violates the students’ fundamental First Amendment Right to Association.
To read the coalition’s letter to UCI’s chancellor and vice chancellor, click here.
Call or email Chancellor Michael Drake and Vice Chancellor to demand the university rescind the suspension recommendation.
- The MSU has been in existence for more than 20 years and organizes hundreds of interfaith and diverse programs every year.
- Singling out the only organization on campus dedicated to the issues and concerns of Muslim students not only devalues the Muslim community as a whole, but also implies political and religious discrimination on the part of UCI administrators.
- Banning the MSU will marginalize this vulnerable community and will brand it as perpetual outsiders
- The recommended Ban Is unparalleled In Its severity and constitutes selective enforcement because other student groups, such as the College Republicans and Students for Peace and Justice, have not only protested and disrupted speeches, but have prevented those speakers from finishing their remarks. Yet no students were disciplined nor were their groups sanctioned in any way.
- The ban sets a dangerous precedent that threatens other student groups.
Michael Drake, Chancellor, University of California, Irvine
Phone: (949) 824-5111
Fax: (949) 824-2087
Manuel N. Gómez, Vice-Chancellor, University of California, Irvine
Phone: (949) 824-4804
Fax: (949) 824-2763
The American Muslims for Palestine is a national, grassroots organization, whose mission is to educate the American public about issues pertaining to Palestine and its rich, cultural heritage. For more information, contact Kristin Szremski, director of media and communications, at 708.598.4267, ext. 22 or at firstname.lastname@example.org . To learn more, go to http://www.ampalestine.org.