Tell Rep. Roskam it’s time to ‘turn the page’ toward justice and human rights
(CHICAGO, 07/15/2010) – U.S. Rep. Peter Roskam, R-IL, said President Barack Obama should “Turn the page” on its stance on Israel’s May 31 fatal attack on the Freedom Flotilla, in which nine unarmed humanitarian activists were killed – including one American.
Roskam is the co-chairman of the House Republican Israel caucus. He made his remarks shortly after returning from a trip to Israel this week, according to Crain’s Chicago Business blogger Greg Hinz.
“Mr. Roskam said Mr. Netanyahu told him he had a ‘good’ meeting with Mr. Obama. ‘I think the White House should turn the page (on the ship attack), and I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt that they have,’” Hinz wrote in the Crain’s article.
The House Republican Israel Caucus works in the House to support policies that support the state of Israeli and foster a stronger U.S. partnership, according to information supplied by caucus co-member, U.S. Rep. Dean Heller, R-Nevada.
The American Muslims for Palestine strongly believe that Rep. Roskam and all our elected officials must first and foremost support policies that support Americans and our interests abroad. U.S. support of Israel – especially the more than $5 billion a year Congress awards it in unconditional U.S. military and other aid – undermines America’s stance in the Arab and Muslim world. It also weakens this country’s credibility as an honest broker in the Middle East and threatens our national security here at home.
Tell Rep. Roskam it is time for him and his colleagues in Congress to ‘turn the page’ toward supporting human rights and justice. It is time to hold Israel accountable for its ongoing flagrant violation of international law – from its illegal demolition of Palestinian homes to the murderous attack on the Freedom Flotilla in international waters.
It is time for the U.S. to DEMAND Israel ends its illegal occupation of Palestine and to end its crippling and inhumane siege on Gaza.
- Israel occupies and deprives the rights of Palestinians living in the West Bank, Jerusalem and Gaza as well as those of the Palestinian citizens of Israel
- Israel has imposed an apartheid state on Palestinians by building the Apartheid Wall; by maintaining a segregated school system for Jews and non-Jews; by hundreds of checkpoints and closures and by imposing the siege on Gaza
- Supporting Israel with military and other aid undermines U.S. national security and our stance in the Arab and Muslim world
- Demand that Israel must end the occupation and lift the siege on Gaza
- Demand that Roskam work for Americans by supporting liberty, justice and human rights
Call Rep. Roskam at (202) 225-4561 or fax your message to him at (202) 225-1166.
For those in the Illinois Congressional District 6 and would prefer to email, click here.
The American Muslims for Palestine is a national, grassroots organization whose mission is to educate the American public on issues relating to Palestine and its rich, cultural heritage. For more information, contact Kristin Szremski, director of media and communications, at 708.598.4267, ext 22 or at firstname.lastname@example.org . To learn more, go to http://www.ampalestine.org.