From Chris Geovanis:
Some people may have heard that ‘Stand With Us’, a zionist propaganda project, snuck in under the radar and is presenting a forum at 10 AM on Thursday at the US Social Forum. Here’s a link to the workshop: http://organize.ussf2010.org/ws/lgbtqi-liberation-middle-east
USSF organizers apparently continue to struggle re strategies to uninvite these apartheid apologists, and may not, in fact, cancel this workshop.
For those attending on Thursday, an intervention at the workshop, which has been roundly condemned by legitimate human rights and lgbtq advocacy projects in the Middle East, would seem to be in order.
See below for links to articles and sources that detail the neo-con and Zionist orientation of the ‘non-profit’ group’s funders, should people need to provide this information to those who may be confused about the agenda of ‘Stand With Us’. The last citation below should clear up any confusion about this project’s direct ties to the Israeli government, and the $25k 2007 from Friends of the IDF doesn’t pass the smell test, either.
- Pro-Israel Group’s Money Trail Veers Hard Right, IPS news: http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=48946
- “Stand With Us money trail reveals neocon funders”, Electronic Intifada, http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article10847.shtml
- “STAND WITH US: ON THE SIDE OF THE [FINANCIAL] ANGELS”, Tikun Olam blog, http://www.richardsilverstein.com/tikun_olam/tag/stand-with-us/ [Scroll down for intel on ‘Stand With Us’ pinkwashing, as well.]
- “Zionists Welcome at US Social Forum”, American Leftist: http://amleft.blogspot.com/2010_06_01_archive.html#2377537815190987482
- Email from Israeli Public Affairs Department urging support for Stand With Us projects: http://web.archive.org/web/20071227064936/http://www.standwithus.com/news_post.asp?NPI=914The organization’s growth from 2002, when it first filed 990 tax forms, through 2007:2003 expenses: 261,9122004 expenses: 753,9542005 expenses 1,116,1212007 expenses 2,769,281.51
Donations: While most donors’ names are blocked out on the organization’s 990’s, the tax document every non-profit must file each year with the IRS, donations in recent years have been sizeable, with a number totalling over $100,000 a piece. In addition, the organization’s 2007 990 failed to completely white out a 2007 donation from Friends of Israel Defense Forces for $25,000.
Any question about this group’s ‘objectivity’ or any remotely progressive tendencies should be checked at the door. They are naked apologists for Zionist apartheid. Good to challenge them as such. While Chicago-based projects like the GLN are pushing against the presence of this racist project, that group’s members won’t be in Detroit until Friday, a day after the workshop. Any other efforts to push back against SWU participation in the USSF would be helpful.
I know that some have raised concerns that if SWU is prevented from convening this pinkwashing workshop, they will tar the USSF with charges of antisemitism, or are concerned that the USSF will be remembered in the mainstream media as a gathering that kicked out ‘Zionists’ or ‘jews’. Those bogus arguments have increasingly little traction, even in the corporate press, and a larger constituency believes that if the presence of SWU at the USSF goes unchallenged, the credibility of the Social Forum as well as partner projects that oppose Israeli apartheid and support Palestinian self-determination will be severely undermined.